Dependent Care FSA (DCFSA)

Who is eligible for a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)?

A Dependent Care FSA is intended to give people who work a tax benefit to help pay for their dependent care expenses. With that in mind, the following criteria must be met:

  • The individual (or, in a spousal situation, both spouses) must either be working or looking for work.* 
  • The dependent must live in the same house as the claimant and must be eligible to be claimed as a dependent. In cases where the dependent only lives with you part-time (e.g. in cases of joint custody), you can only get reimbursed for costs incurred while they are living with you.
  • Your dependent must be:
    • A child age 12 or under
    • A dependent adult who lives in your home and is either mentally or physically unable to care for themselves

*It is important to note that if you don't have a job and aren’t looking for work, eligibility also extends to those still in school, and those incapable of working because of mental or physical impairment.

While you can sign up for a DCFSA during your organization’s annual enrollment period, it ultimately depends on your employer and whether they offer a DCFSA option to their employees. 

If you are unsure whether your employer offers DCFSA, we encourage you to contact your HR team - they will be the ones enrolling you if available.

Questions? We are happy to help! Please reach out to Benepass Support for any assistance.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request